Wednesday, October 26, 2005

not sneezing, snowing

The sneezing I mentioned yesterday turned to snow, proper. It snowed most of the day, though it had calmed down by the time I left work at six o'clock last night. Evidently, Hurricane Wilma (yes, that's Wilma, with a W. We've already had a Tropical Storm Alpha--that means they ran through almost the entire alphabet [they leave out the difficult naming letters, otherwise every hurricane when we went that far would be named Xavier] and came all the way back to the front) decided to join forces and give us some remarkably unseasonable weather, dubbed "SuperStorm 2005" by AccuWeather, though it wasn't so Super. From the forecast I linked above, I assumed today would be just as bad, if not worse, so I bundled up before heading out this morning. Sweater, trusty toggle/duffle coat, etc--expecting that I'd have to brush off my car and all. I walked out into a bright, surprisingly warm morning, the sun coming up at an angle under low, dark clouds.

The snow had almost entirely melted around my place, except for little bits near curbs and the edges of our lawn. Driving in, there was still snow atop The Village at Penn State (more info), but anyplace the sun had touched was bare. Most of the drive, I was entertained by watching the waving of a little yellow leaf stuck in the remnants of the snow under my windshield wipers.

On campus, the sun (just peeking over Mount Nittany) reflected off the all-glass newest expansion to Beaver Stadium. I tried to get a quick shot of it while I was in line at the three-way stop, but my camera battery died at an inopportune moment.

The field hockey/lacrosse field that I can see from my office window is still pretty well covered in snow, though it's melting rapidly. Work's getting steadily accomplished in between typing sentences in this thing, though some of it's on hold due to me having to babysit my phone for the next few hours (phone duty, you know). Today's another pumpkin-scented day, though I'm feeling more parenthetical today than yesterday (I think).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other than their alliterative quality, is there a connection between pumpkin and parenthetical? :P

Anne said...

Just part of the state of the day, that's all.