The other writer/editor in our office has taken a new job, leaving me to do the job of two, for the moment. I learned today that she will be replaced, which was up in the air for awhile. I'm hoping this will be a positive change, that the higher-ups will take this opportunity to further massage the difference in the two posts, but I fear that might not happen--I fear that far too much will depend on the applicant pool. And I desperately want someone who I'll enjoy working with in the position, which will make this an even more difficult search to be involved with.
I very much value the tech end of my job, but my boss seems to want to pull me away from that--and that's understandable, given the current circumstances. We have far too many more pure writing/editing projects for even the two of us to manage together.
This is all rather tangential. To get down to it, I'm finding work very stressful these days, even though not much has changed, practically speaking. I've taken on a few more things, sure, but it's manageable, I think. I got a quick speech from my boss today that basically comes down to him saying that I should be more flexible about working outside of our normal 8 to 5 hours, which frankly makes me balk. That's part of why I took a job like this. That's part of why I stopped teaching. I didn't want to have to take anything home with me anymore. It's not like I leave right at the dot of ending time, either: I was there until 6 tonight, for example. But I'm probably getting peeved over a rather minor point.
Tangential again. Not that I have a point, per se, other than updating folks on how things are over here at the moment. So I'm going to change the subject.
Have I ever mentioned that I generally hate television? Perhaps that's an overstatement. I don't hate television: I hate commercials. Loathe them. I understand they're part of the pop culture zeitgeist these days, but I really can't stand them. Even with the Replay TV here (it's like a Tivo, for those unfamiliar), having to skip them irritates me. If it were up to me, the only television I'd watch would be on DVD--thus, ad-free. Unfortunately, J. often leaves it on as background noise--and worse, doesn't always skip or mute the commercials. Not a fun time, in my book. Guess this means I can never be a full-fledged marketing goober, even though I'm tending that way in bits of my professional life.
Or at least, here's hoping.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
No, actually, I don't think you're getting peeved over a minor point. Barring the occasional exception, an office job is supposed to be 9 to 5 (or, well, 8 to 5 in your case.) It's not, I imagine, in your contract that you should be taking things home on a routine basis, nor are you likely being compensated for that time. That's not minor. Not at all. That's a job slowly creeping in to take over your life.
'Course, that's just my two coppers.
And I dunno. Some commercials can be damned funny. At least the well put together ones can be. I may not be in the best position to comment, though, since I watch even less TV than you do.
At any rate, I hope the candidate pool doesn't need a chlorine tablet... :P
Post a Comment