Friday, July 22, 2005

Gapping: conferences/work vs. energy

Between our Spring Conference, PACAC in late June, PACAC Summer Institute at Bucknell just past, and training our campuses on the new visitation system (I'm at our Delaware County campus presently), I've had enough of leaving early in the morning to drive around Pennsylvania. Between the aforementioned, plus Spend a Summer Day rehearsal this Sunday and other sundry nonsense for work, I've had enough of working outside my usual hours. Between visitation text work (not finished), revising the web application (not finished), various web tool additions (mostly finished), monthly updates to the student section of the site (ongoing), the final edit of the paper application (finished as of 5:30 last night) and the usual counseling I do, I'm surprised I haven't had enough of writing and editing. Nevertheless, I may be pushing too hard, because I feel like I need a vacation.

But I'm learning a lot. From Spring Conference, I got my first taste of our other campuses. At PACAC, I learned the importance of socializing with colleagues not from my institution and re-learned how useful some seminars can be. At Summer Institute, I learned how different Admissions at Penn State is from all other institutions. From the visitation tour, I learned that I adore the people I'm working closely with on this project, I saw more of our campuses, and learned how variable their operations are, as well as confirming that the work I enjoy most integrates text and technology.

All in all, I'm very very glad this job involves both, and my boss wants me to do more. Next up, I'm hoping to push my knowledge of the latter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those that burn brightly burn briefly. Watch that you don't burn yourself out, A. Nobody wants to see that happen, especially since you're actually digging this job.