There's a rather complicated set of circumstances that has to occur before one of these posts gets made. I have to have:
1. A subject, and a reason to post about that subject.
2. Composing time, mental.
3. Composing time, physical (actually typing it up).
4. A lack of other, more pressing matters.
Subject's easy enough. Even mental composing time's not too much of a problem. I compose in my head constantly, whether in the form of blog posts or otherwise. But there's an amazing percentage of subjects--even mentally composed pieces--that never make it to any solid form. Usually that's due to number four. I have a ton of obligations, most of which I went into voluntarily, and sometimes they become a bit much.
And I know many of the voluntary obligations could be put aside momentarily, but usually not without disappointing someone. And I hate disappointing people.
So I go short on some of them, some of the time. Or I short my friends. But the pinch occurs somewhere. And I don't like that either. But I also don't want to let go of any of what I'm involved in.
I think I thrive when I'm busy. At least, I can say that I've been pretty happy for awhile now, and I've been pretty insanely busy for most of that time. So it basically comes down to being a balance between doing stuff and not going nuts trying to accomplish all of the stuff I'm committed to. Finding a way to define and/or manage that is rough, though. But so is letting people down. But there's got to be a way. And there is, I suppose, since I don't think I'm doing too badly thus far.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad to know that I'm not the only one constantly setting up typeface in my noggin.
'Course, using you as my normalcy barometer might be a slight error in judgement (he says with a grin.)
Oh, and I'm reminded of a dewdrop of wisdom (or as close to such as I ever come) I dispensed to someone else recently; don't worry about disappointing anyone but yourself. If you feel like you've failed yourself by failing someone else, fine. Run with it. But don't feel obligated to do something for someone simply for the sake of obligation. That way lies madness.
Trust me on this. I know.
Post a Comment