I know it's been awhile. It's been crazy lately, including work. 'Tis the season for admissions applications.
I feel like I spent less than an hour at my desk today, and I frankly wouldn't be too far off. At one point, I got back to the building after a cross-campus hike in the cold and wet only to turn around and leave it again about fifteen minutes later for another meeting. Though they fed us pizza there, so I can't complain too much.
It's been a cold, wet, miserable, and frazzled sort of day, and a sneezing on your paycheck while stuffing it in your wallet for your next run to the bank (nevermind the coincidence that you just went today before this one arrived) and trying to change out of your work clothes so you can make a quick entry, cook some quick stir fry, and get out to join friends for the night's plans sort of an evening. Which is what's going on now.
I made an amazing meal yesterday, courtesy of a link sent by S, who I joined a local CSA with for local, organic veggies. Which is actually making me cook more, which is good. And successfully! I was amazed at how well this turned out, given all the substitutions I made: shallots for the yellow onion, garlic powder for the fresh, chicken broth rather than veggie. I'm not even sure I used kale: I used whatever dark green leafy thing I got this week from the CSA, plus some tatsoi left over from last week's haul. How I managed to get everything coordinated so the sunflower seeds were toasting while the greens were simmering and the pasta cooking, after having started with cooking the edamame, I'm not sure, nor am I sure I'll ever be able to do again. But it's nice being in the zone in something I'm not so confident at.
On the other end, with something I'm more confident in, I tried the half-Persian weave in silver rather than steel over the weekend, and it turned out quite nicely, though I gave myself a blister on my thumb in the process.
I also recently spoke to N., my oldest friend. And it's funny how whenever we talk (which is rare), it turns out to be this intense summary and almost mini-therapy in that I talk about things I barely even think about, even though they're part of my day-to-day and have been for years.
I've been wanting to write but not having or wanting to sacrifice the time I need to do so. Frustrating. But even more frustrating is bit by bit trying to scrape and make sacrifices for a new computer--an expense I hadn't planned on until recently, when I realized I need to upgrade soon, given that this one's almost five years old, though I have made additions along the way.
Despite all this nonsense, I'm still happy. I've had a song running through my head for weeks now: a BT song whose chorus goes "simply being loved, loved, loved, is more than enough." And it is. I treasure my friends, whom I consider close enough to be family, both here and elsewhere. And I'll end there, because I desperately need to go and make dinner in order to join a few of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for the mini-therapy session. I've been going through a transition, a spiritual migration if you will, and I was filled with this intense feeling to call you as I shift gears in my glitterama skins. Thanks for being you -- your voice is comfort, hot cider on a chilly day.
--N
You lucky devil. The only tune I've had consistantly popping up in my head is the old 'Monchichi' toy commercial jingle (and I don't even wanna think about what that says about the state of my brain at the mo'.) :P
Post a Comment