Wednesday, April 07, 2010

with Coltrane: the "changes themselves is some kind of story"

Totally lifting this quote from a newfound acquaintance (check him out: he tells beautiful stories), but it's too good to pass up.

While rehearsing the precipitously difficult piece in the studio, John Coltrane can be heard saying to his struggling colleagues, “I don't think I'm gonna improve this, you know . . . I ain't goin be sayin nothin, (I goin do) tryin just, makin the changes, I ain't goin be, tellin no story . . . Like . . . tellin them black stories."  Amidst the confounded mumbles of assent from his bandmates, one colleague rejoins, "Shoot.  Really, you make the changes, that'll tell 'em a story."  Surprised by this idea, Coltrane responds, "You think the changes're the story!" Overlapping him a second bandmate riffs, "(Right)... that'll change all the stories (up)."  His voice cracking with laughter, Coltrane admits, "I don't want to tell no lies (on 'em)."  After a group laugh, the second colleague trails off in a sort of denouement, "(The) changes themselves is some kind of story (man I'm tellin you)."




THIS.

Changes brewing, more busy-ness-making, but all of it good. And, as stated above, the changes themselves is some kind of story. One I'll hopefully get a chance to share later. But not yet: too much in flux still. Later. Later.

No comments: