Warning: contains graphic descriptions of blisters. Continue at your own risk.
I had my weekly yoga class today, and noted that the New Orleans blisterTM is in its final stages: completely separated from the new skin beneath, cracking, and dry. It's also amazingly thick: I was shocked. The pinprick I put in it while I was down there to drain it has developed into a decent-sized hole.
I suppose it's relevant to understand how big this blister was/is. It took up most of the ball of my left foot, running farther down the side than it did along my toes, and it went all the way up in between my big and second toe.
This was not the fault of my shoes, I might add. I brought the best shoes for walking that I have: my comfy kicking-around Børns and my Dansko clogs, which have better support (thus again demonstrating my preference for all things Danish--lucky they make such great shoes). It was the fault of me not walking enough at home, and ramping up to an incredible amount of on-my-feetness literally overnight. The last two days I was there, my feet had gotten used to it.
In any case, I had noticed that this blister had reached this stage a few days ago, and I took it as another sign that I was done processing and assimilating the experience and ready to share it.
But then, I'm like that, some of the time.
In those moments, I'm connective--I tend to find links between things that perhaps shouldn't be, and symbolism where there's only practicality.
Case in point: I came home one day to find three or four bees/yellowjackets/wasps/I-can't-tell-them-apart,so-whatever dead right outside my front door. One half of my brain immediately exclaimed "this must mean something," but moments later the other half of my brain thwapped the first and said sarcastically "it means they sprayed today, stupid."
You see my point.
So there you have me: demonstratably halved, one part that wants the world to be full of mysticism and symbolism, and the other that's supremely rational.
Which will win? Stay tuned to find out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The two need not be mutually exclusive, y'know ('least by my way of thinking.)
Then again, that may just be me *he says, somewhat wistfully*.
Yeah, but it's part of my dualism-trained brain to think of them in opposition.
Thanks for pointing out the possibility of inclusiveness, rather than the current exclusivity I've got stuck in mind.
Happy to be of service :)
Post a Comment