So last night, at the club, an old student of mine came up to the booth to chat--a student who hadn't been in the area for months, at least. Some two months ago, I'd halfheartedly tried to track him down online, mostly due to being reminded of him by making renewed contact with two other old students of mine, who graduated (or were about to graduate) from the same department. (For my own reference: AB, ES, and LB)
Turns out this particular student has been in New York since he graduated, working as a production assistant on two relatively popular Hollywood news-related shows. Frankly, I envied him just a tad upon hearing this. And, for that matter, felt more than a little humbled. It's a great leveling experience, this after-graduation thing--especially considering my (grad) degree is in something that most people find relatively useless. I can't tell you how many "And what are you going to do with that?"s I had to endure, usually followed with: "Teach?"
Since work today was relatively intense--two prospective student presentations, one right before lunch, one right after--I commiserated with J at some point, who asked if I'd been looking elsewhere. It caught me off guard. Such hadn't even occurred to me. Hadn't even entered my mind.
I like my job. Sure, there are a few things that I don't love about it, but overall, I'm happy with what I'm doing. I could start a list of what I like, but I'm not sure that would serve much of a purpose. The major drawbacks? The pace, perhaps, and the amount of things I have to do that aren't really related to what projects I'd ideally be working on, but that's really all when it comes to day-to-day tasks.
It's strange, I suppose. I didn't realize I gave off the impression that I don't like it. Perhaps the method by which I blow off steam/stress makes my close friends think so.
Upon leaving, one of the women in my office suite told me (only because a conversation was going on about it) that she's pregnant. I gave a cautious "That's a good thing?" She assured me that it was, kind of backhandedly complimented how discreet I was, and the conversation continued. Upon learning this, one of the women involved in the conversation had immediately offered to help her shop. The other immediately helped by providing suggestions and advice from her own experience. I said little to nothing. The latter woman finally said something to the effect of "I'll stop pestering you about it," and let her head to her car. The news-worthy one and I walked out to the parking lot together. I said that I wouldn't pester her about it. She replied: "You're always reserved and considerate. I would never expect you to be anything less than that."
If those are the primary characteristics I'm known for, I'm having mixed feelings about it. I guess, though, that it's work, and those are certainly two better things to be known for there. It doesn't make me sound like very much fun, though. But I do much prefer to be conscientious about those sorts of matters--to be sure of where others stand before I open my mouth about it.
I wonder--if my coworkers knew my stance on children, would they be as prone to discussing them/their plans for them in front of me? It does happen a lot. Which, further, makes me wonder if I shouldn't make my stance known more obviously.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment