Wednesday, August 31, 2005

reading aloud

When I was little, I used to love being called on in class to read aloud. Now, though, I've lost those skills entirely. This was realized after trying to read the report of a friend of mine who just moved to New Orleans aloud to my roommate. I stumbled over simple (and sometimes ironic) words, words like "inadequate."

I blame this on adult impatience. And, I suppose, the fact that I don't read for really extended periods anymore, like I used to. But when it comes to the impatience, I just want to get to the end of the sentence. My brain is trying to go forward, skim through sentences as I do when I'm speed-reading. The fact that my speech is slower than my reading speed is not something my mind is used to, or comfortable with, so it just tries to keep up. Which, of course, doesn't work.

On a completely separate note, the students are definitely back, bringing with them all the baggage they carry from all different parts of the U.S. and the world. Although I haven't interacted with many, I know because, as happens every fall to some extent at one point or another, I can feel myself getting sick. Joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that's a skill I never lost. The family unit found it particularly charming hearing me read bits of "The Hobbit" to little Digs (my nephew) at one point (though that's an impossibility, now. He never stays in one place long enough to read to anymore.)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I hope you either dodge the cold or feel better soon.