Friday, April 07, 2006

laughing at work and a stadium visit

So as I was walking in from my car this morning, my grand-boss passed me in his minivan. When he saw me, he started waving like a maniac, which made me laugh. He tends to do that (make me laugh, that is), and it's so refreshing to work with someone like that.

As soon as he got in, he stopped by my office and said, "I was trying to be one of those happy morning people, but I think I just managed to hurt my shoulder. No more of that." Kidding around, of course.

Have I mentioned I adore working with this guy?

As a side note, I finally managed to make it into our stadium, after five years of living here. A few weeks ago, our intern (a football fan--or at least, a Nittany Lion fan) said she wanted to do a story about the stadium, wanted to go inside and see the parts most people don't see. So we did. I went with to shoot photos.

It's actually a little spooky when it's completely empty. But we poked our noses into the locker room, done in carpet and wood, and, I thought at least, exceptionally beautifully done. We saw the media room, the different clubs (one for former players, one that could be bought into), and the president's suite, as well as the club boxes, which are amazing. They have windows down the front that can be rolled up so you're virtually outside (but under cover, too), movie theatre-style seating, couch, mini-kitchen, etc. Pretty amazing amenities. I'd never realized how much that whole end works like a hotel--they even have a concierge on each floor.

We even went out onto the field, an experience that was probably pretty well wasted on me. Post-season, the marks are taken off the field, so it's just an expanse of grass surrounded by empty seating. There were some potential recruits also on the field with us, down at the other end--juniors in high school--that held impromptu races across the field. When I started taking pictures of them, the one guy that wasn't going to participate decided he had to, once he realized I was taking shots. Amusing, but probably won't gain him much fame, since not only did I not get their names, but the shot probably won't even make it into the feature. It's a pretty good shot, with one in full stride, perfect form, but the others kind of ruin it--two are in-process on their forward step, and their arms are down, so it looks like they're jogging at best, and the third (the one who snuck in at the last second) had kicked off his non-running shoes, so he's in his stocking feet on the grass, which looks a little odd. And, of course, they're all in jeans, just mucking about.

They were also really small for football players, all of them, but of course I realize they're just in high school, that they've still got time to grow. But from the time I tutored one of our linebackers and saw his pencil disappear in his grasp, their size has always impressed me. And it's reflected in the locker room--all the showerheads are way, way, high--as are the controls for them. Inconveniently high for me (and I don't consider myself short), but probably perfect for them.

That feature will probably go up at the end of the month in the student life section of our website, but the intern that wrote it heavily self-edited, I think, and understandably so--very few of the people that read these will ever see the inside of these boxes.

In any case, I know I never will again. Football: not my thing.

No comments: