I ought to just commit to writing here after yoga every Tuesday, because it seems like I almost always have something in my head to put here afterwards. I blame the brain-expansion.
Normally I don't sing in the car. Today, however, I was belting out Splashdown's "Ironspy" both before and after class. I noted that afterwards was much stronger than beforehand: in that case, I suspect it's the navel work we did, which made me feel and use those muscles much more once I rediscovered them (as I do virtually every time I do yoga, I might add--but between times, I forget about them again. yet another reason to start practicing daily).
You may not know this about me, but when I was younger (starting when I was about eight), I took voice lessons for years. Performed a lot of Phantom and Les Mis when they were all the rage. But, of course, I realize now that I've nigh-forgotten the breath technique I learned then to support my tone.
Then again, there's probably a lot of random nonsense you might not know (Dad, you're an exception, of course). Like that I went to modeling school as well. I might add that I was far too young to do so--nor did I have the appropriate body type. But my mom put me through it anyway.
All this aside, I also realized that I no longer have the same memory triggers with music that I used to. Automatically, at least. Perfect example: Splashdown I first got intensely interested in when I was dating N, so logically one should conjure memories of the other, right? Not so much anymore.
I think it's that I've achieved enough emotional balance that music no longer acts as an immediate trigger. I can let my mind drift to it, but if I don't want to or don't think of it, I don't. On the one hand this is a very good development--certain songs no longer upset me. On the other hand, it's not so great--some of those triggers are what made me enjoy the song in the first place.
As an abrupt left turn, I need to call Uncle Len tonight. Hopefully I'll remember to after this. I also chatted with my ex-grandboss over this past weekend, and as a mental note I need to remember to email him after the Windows Media Player-friendly version of the podcast is up. I don't know what to call him in here anymore, since he's no longer my grandboss. Perhaps just by his initial, as I do most everyone else, which is P. His initials are P.S, which prompts the joke that if he ever created his own university, its shorthand would also be PSU. It was good to talk to him again: hopefully that'll continue now that I won't be seeing him virtually every day at work.
Speaking of work, it's official (to me, anyway--paper signed and all: the announcement has yet to go out to the office, but that'll happen soon enough). That really important day this past Friday? Was my interview for the assistant director position that had opened up in our office. I'm now an Assistant Director for Undergraduate Admissions: I believe my internal title will be Assistant Director of Electronic Communication, meaning I'll be managing any online delivery of information/messaging, internal and external. Which is, I might add, something I've been doing (much of, not all of) anyway, though as only a small part of my former job's description thus far (I've been going above and beyond, as is my wont with things that interest me). It's exciting: new office, new title, new salary, new conferences, new responsibilities, new opportunities. I've been getting management advice from friends and mentors, some of it coincidental, some of it after they found out. I'll do fine, I know I will: I've been doing this stuff already, quite frankly going outside the limits of my job description to do so.
I'm looking forward to these changes, all in all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Again, congratulations!
Part of me wants to try and be all smart-ass and funny here, but I think I'll refrain (alert the media! :P) You've worked your ass off for this, so I'll skip the (well intentioned) jokes and just say that I'm glad they've recognized what they've got in you.
...Though fully expect me to harass you about the modelling stuff somewhere down the road :P
I'm so proud of you! Your hard work paid off. Go get em girl. . Love, Boom
Boom! You commented! I'm so proud of you, too!
And thanks. :D
(You commenting means a lot to me, I might add.)
Post a Comment