Thursday, September 01, 2005

soup

Can I just rave about soup for a moment?

Lunch today: Tuesday's leftover wild rice soup from Stone Soup. Still incredible, even reheated.

Dinner tonight: fresh smoked trout chowder also from Stone Soup. And awesome smoked trout it is. Thick, flavorful--can't beat it. There's also wild rice in this particular soup, which makes me wonder if Tom's using leftovers, or if he just got on a kick.

I rediscovered wild rice awhile back. That's also when I figured out that we don't get much of it around here. The stuff I've been buying comes from Texas, and is mixed with white. Requesting some of the real thing from my dad, back Wisconsin way, didn't come up with much either. Then again, most of the real wild rice I remember loving and seeing in the store often came from Minnesota.

The soup chef of Stone Soup, Tom Everly of Keystone Yankee Catering, is taking the next two weeks off, which is why I stopped by to grab some while I could (normally, I only head over there during lunch). This, of course, right after yet another of my coworkers (in this case, my grandboss) says he wants to go down there with me to grab some soup for lunch next Thursday. I've got four on the line at the moment, and with this break, they'll likely forget all about it in the interim. But I won't. I'll be over in my office just waiting for its return.

No comments: