Friday, August 18, 2006

New Orleans pictures, part the fifth

Then there were these:

Lakeview waterline
Yes, that water line would be over your head. This is from Lakeview, with a storm rolling in to the left, through a car window. Since Lakeview and several other areas that got hit hard are basically suburban cookie-cutter hells, those areas turned out like this:

full curbs
Full curbs, fridges often full of rotten food, at each stop down the line.

remnants of a life pre-Katrina
Curbs full of belongings, furniture, clothes; often moldy or still waterlogged, in the case of mattresses.

The "luckier" areas, where people qualified, saw trailers in each driveway.
kids biking
I was heartened to see kids biking down the road here, like in any neighborhood, which is why I took this shot.

Tons of new businesses sprang up or moved to the area, and advertised on every lightpole they could get ahold of:
NOLA: services available
I'm not real fond of these businesses, though I know their services are needed. To me, a lot of these are just making their money off the disaster--demolition, mold removal, businesses that buy up old houses, you name it--and others are just plain scams.

Lest you think it was just middle-class suburbia that got hit:
tipping-over tree and trailer impact

And the ubiquitous blue tarps:
blue tarps

And fridges. No electricity = rotting food. Most people probably checked theirs after they returned, then duct taped it shut and tossed it to the curb:
strewn fridges

No comments: