Posting while my brain's still spinning up for the day, so please forgive the near-list format.
Just finished my breakfast of blueberries and put another load of laundry in. Watched an episode of "How it's Made" on the Science channel explaining the growing of mushrooms and the making of gold rings (J.'s watching it--I virtually never watch TV on my own). Way more education than I'm used to in about the first half hour after I've awoken properly for the day.
That's right. I got up at 1 p.m. I was also up until 2:30 a.m. Not doing anything exciting, mind you, but working on various projects--of which I've got far too many. Last night's was weeding out my collection of magazine clippings. Those I would've tossed went to L., who I assume will put them to good artistic use (because he's good at that sort of thing). He'll be getting more and more as I go through them. He already carried a couple pounds with him back to his car last night, which was parked about a half mile away. Silly L.
This sleep-in is remarkable because for a good couple months, I haven't been able to sleep past 11 on Sundays, often getting up at 8 or 9, which irked me to no end considering that I often stay up until 2:30 or later the night before. I blame it on the fact that I would wake up, and the things I had to do that day would be running through my head, until I gave up and got up and started doing them. With an extra day (Labor Day) in which to do things, my brain didn't torture me too much this morning, although I did go out at around 10 and rang our neighbor's doorbell, to ask if she could keep the six five-year-olds upstairs on a sleep-over from running and jumping on something directly above my head as I was trying to get back to sleep.
And in this case, I feel I was justified. I'm sick. Properly so, although I suspected at first it was just the usual runny nose that accompanies the shift to fall (and thus my allergies kicking in). Not the case. Instead of going to what would have been my first tailgate ever (surprising, perhaps, given where I live), hosted and attended by colleagues at the Admissions office, I went to the doctor and got antibiotics for what she said (wonderful doctor, by the way, but unfortunately her usual practice is way out of my way--she just happened to be in my usual clinic to cover a Saturday) was a sinus infection. And if I didn't think so beforehand, I definitely know so now. I won't go into details, though. It wouldn't be pretty.
In the shower, I listened to Joy Division's Permanent, which has been in my CD player in the bathroom for awhile now. Which may say something, but not as much when you consider that I only listen to that stereo on the weekends, when I know I won't wake the roomie with the volume. I often forget, until I listen to that album again, that Joy Division first did "Dead Souls." I will forever associate that song with The Crow. Random thanks to R. for introducing me to that soundtrack in high school, before I'd ever seen the movie or, for that matter, thought that goth was cool.
In the car, I've got the new Conjure One CD, which I'm a little disappointed with. They strayed away from the exotic tone of their last album, which is what I enjoyed about it most. On the good side, I'm pretty sure Poe is back doing at least one vocal, although she's not credited anywhere in the liner notes. But I'm enjoying most of it.
On the text end, I just finished National Geographic's Perfume: The Art and Science of Scent, and I'm moving on to The Emperor of Scent : A Story of Perfume, Obsession, and the Last Mystery of the Senses, two very different books, though both handle on the same subject, and both are wonderfully written. And that subject, of course, is oh-so-appropriate right now, given that I can't smell a damn thing.
I've decided that I'm going to decorate my bathroom in CDs, after finding a hanging holder that displays them rather nicely (cheaply, but nicely) at Target. I hope to go back and find more of them, since I only bought one. Off to go do so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment