Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I almost left the house with my slippers still on this morning.

I caught myself stepping out the door with them, shook my head at myself, and stepped back in to switch over to my Børn dress shoes (which I need to polish up some), which my Dad bought for me. My summery dress Børn, mind, not this pair of Børn (also bought for me by my Dad, by the by--among the reasons I love him is that he keeps me in Danish shoes).

I took a bath right before I went to bed last night, and I feel much better for it--yesterday was a long day with a late meeting. I didn't get home until almost seven, although I stopped on the way home at Target and Wegman's. That bath, though, resulted in a feeling of extreme softness this morning--so extreme that it makes me feel vulnerable. But good, and that's the important part, I guess. More balanced, at the very least. More ready for what the day has in store.

That bath also meant I could read more of The Emperor of Scent, and follow Luca Turin's footsteps further. I've caught up with him in real time, so to speak: I've found and also been following his blog. The way the author of the book (not the blog, although Turin has a similar artistry with words) describes complex science and theory using metaphor really makes me think that I would've learned much more in the realm of science if I'd only had teachers that could use that sort of method. The usual mode just never grabbed me like this does. I'd hesitate to call it a page-turner, because it's not that sort of book, but it's certainly interesting enough to stick with (and having started and abandoned lots of books in the last few years, that's saying something).

So I drove to work, wrapped in my long black sweater because it was really nippy yesterday morning, although this morning wasn't as bad. But that sweater is cozy. And on the way, I saw the second hot air balloon aloft that I've seen this week, and the third this month. It was cruising toward campus with me. I took some shots of it while I was at stop lights and signs and such, a few of which were taken from almost right underneath it. I may be able to post these later.

I'm on phones for a couple hours this morning starting at 8, so I'd best switch gears. Although it's been relatively quiet on duty for us counselors, that'll change next month, and increase as the months pass, before settling down some in spring. I've also got a web project going up in two days that I need to get cracking on, so I'd best put the time toward that if I have it.

I feel parenthetical this morning. Need to quash that before I get on with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you implying that there's something wrong with being parentetical? :P